The Peer Mentor program is for students who want to be FIU student leaders by assisting a First Year Experience instructor throughout the length of the SLS1501 course. Peer mentors guide fellow peers throughout their first semester of college and are a great resource for students in and outside of the classroom. Peer Mentors have the opportunity to lead group activities and discussions during the FYE course and establish special bonds with the students and instructor.
As a peer mentor, you may expect to assist first year students with some of the following:
- Making friends & fitting in
- Dealing with parents or homesickness
- Missing friends from home
- Eating alone
- Public transportation
- Being responsible
- Eating healthy
- Time management
- Talking with their advisor
- Doing well academically
- Affordability & budgeting
- Life skills – laundry, cooking, etc
- Getting sick
SLS 1501 Peer Mentor
What is a Peer Mentor?
- A Peer Mentor is a current and/or future FIU student leader who assists the Student Life Skills (SLS) instructor throughout the length of the course
- A Peer Mentor is utilized as a great resource for the students and many times lead several discussions on specific topics throughout the SLS 1501 course
- Lead group activities in order to create that bond and relationship within the students in the FYE course
- A student who is able to help guide the students throughout their first semester in college by explaining their personal experiences as a freshman
What do we look for in a Peer Mentor?
- Someone who is responsible and takes the initiative to help others
- A role model to their fellow peers
- A student who is energetic and shows pride in FIU
- One who has a positive attitude is helpful inside and outside of the classroom
Responsibilities as a Peer Mentor:
- Attend Peer Mentor Training
- Meet and get to know their professor they are assisting once they are assigned
- Attend all of their assigned SLS classes
- Come up with creative icebreakers and team builders to have the class interact with each other
- Co-facilitate discussions and activities with theeir instructor
- Be positive and have fun with our new Panthers!
- Current undergraduate student
- Completed one year or more at FIU
- 2.5 GPA or above
Are you ready to Become a Peer Mentor? Apply!
Applications will be open February 20th.
Keep an eye out for our upcoming Peer Mentor Recruitment Month to learn how you can become a Peer Mentor.
To apply, please submit the following items via OrgSync by Friday, March 10th.
For More Information on Becoming a Peer Mentor Please Contact:
- Peer Mentor OrgSync Page (Join us using peermentor as the password)
- Recommendation Form (Your recommendation form must be completed by an FIU faculty/staff member)
- Interviews will be scheduled via e-mail
First Year Programs, SASC 428 email@example.com
Phone: (305) 348-7824
Undergraduate Education, AC1 180 firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: (305) 919-5754