General Information | Course Syllabus - Dr. Gavassa | Workshop Topics
Register | Drop | View Section | View Schedule
J. Cozza, S. Gavassa, M. Tracey, and M. Walter
Extra Credit in BSC 1010
The Center for Academic Success offers workshops in Reading Enhancement through application of various reading strategies via your Biology textbook. These workshops are designed to make you better readers as the volume of information increases throughout the semester. They are structured for small groups of students to facilitate in-depth application of these strategies. Individual sessions are available for students who would like one-to-one feedback. These sessions can be made on a walk-in basis, or by appointment. Also remember that these services are free of charge, and are created to make you better students. Below are the guidelines for the extra credit in your GB I class:
- Be prepared. Bring your textbook, syllabus, and any pertinent materials related to your class. Any forms of assessment are extremely helpful.
- Be on time. Sessions are one hour in length. While workshops consist of eight students, our tutors need all of this time in order to provide each participant with the necessary attention and detail to his/her progress.
- Be consistent. In order to receive the five extra credit points, you must complete all five sessions throughout the semester. This is an opportunity for you to earn more points for your class. Sessions cannot be skipped, missed, or partially completed.
- Be receptive. You will receive a variety of strategies, graphic organizers, mnemonics, and study rubrics throughout these sessions. Not all of them may apply to BSC 1010, but they may be useful in another course. Keep these in your 'metacognitive bank' and ask your tutor questions.
- Be responsible. Once you register for a workshop at our Center you are reserving a place that no other student can take. Be considerate with these workshops. Keep your Panther ID handy when you arrive to the CfAS. You must enter your information at the front area of our Center, and make sure that your tutor records your attendance. At the end of the semester these records will be submitted to Ms. Calero.
3 Easy steps to Registering
Click here to REGISTER.
On the registration page, select the SET you want or have been assigned.
Fill in all personal information, then select the section which suits you best.
Back to Reading Workshops home page