Meet the Staff
The Academic Success Plan is a program designed for students in the College of Arts & Sciences who are majoring in chemistry. The program is derived from the original Academic Improvement Plan (AIP) that worked with exploratory students, however the staff and services dedicated to the Academic Success Plan are focused on success in chemistry and chemistry-related courses. The purpose of the Academic Success plan is to provide a holistic, individualized program that empowers students in the areas of critical thinking, problem-solving, and help-seeking behaviors. The Academic Success Plan is structured as a small learning community for students in order to provide a personal network of resources in a large, high research institution.
The Academic Success Plan is comprised of the following components:
Who is involved in the Academic Success Plan (ASP)?
- An orientation/reflection session where students have an opportunity to look back and discuss their academic performance from previous semesters.
- Diagnostic sessions in reading and mathematics to determine any areas of weakness in fundamental academic skills
- Chemistry intensive tutoring based on the curriculum detailed by the professors in lower-division and/or upper-division chemistry courses
- Workshops on reading strategies, study skills, time management, and other areas dedicated to improve overall academic success
- Individualized communication between the students, tutors, professors, and advisors
- The student. In order to maintain a holistic approach to the program, the tutoring sessions, workshops, and overall curriculum are based on student feedback and performance.
- The tutors at the Center for Academic Success (CfAS). Tutors who work at the Center for Academic Success are trained by the administrative team in every aspect of the Academic Success Plan.
- The Center for Academic Success Administrative Team. The directors and coordinators at the Center for Academic Success, Modesto Maidique and Biscayne Bay Campuses supervise the structure and implementation of the Academic Success Plan.
- The Undergraduate Advising Team in the College of Arts & Sciences. Communication between the Center for Academic Success and Academic Advising is vital concerning identification of and progress monitoring of students who are on an ASP. Academic Advisors assist in the individualized approach to academic improvement and compliance with the program.